Early pioneer cattlemen and farmers in southwest Kansas saw a need for a local bank in their agricultural community. The Johnson State Bank was chartered in December 1913 and opened for business in a small frame building in November of 1914. A Statement of Condition dated January 4, 1915 showed total assets of $15,847.82. In 1929 a new brick building was built and the bank moved out of the frame building. An addition was built in 1972 doubling the size of the building and providing much needed office space. In 1980 another addition was added on the south side of the building. Extensive remodeling was completed at this time as well.
Seeing an opportunity to better serve our customers we established Bank of Ulysses in 1995. This is a full service branch that offers all of the services our customers have come to know and expect. Bank of Ulysses primarily serves Ulysses and the surrounding Grant County region.
The Johnson State Bank and Bank of Ulysses are locally owned and operated. All Stockholders, Directors, and Officers are residents of southwest Kansas. In fact, several of our Directors have direct family ties to the first charter members from 1913. This long history of proven leadership and consistency is the cornerstone of our business. Today our Bank has grown and assets total approximately $50 million. Even though our size has increased our goals remain the same. We strive to meet the needs of our county, our community, and our customers.